Monday, February 23, 2009

Bike Crash

Ten days ago, I crashed on my road bike in the local park. I was going down a staightaway, moving fast, and came up to a hard right turn with a bridge that dips down. I started braking a little too late and so I laid it on the brakes. There must have been some loose dirt on the cement path because the rear wheel locked up and I started to skid. It was just a matter of time before I went down on the ground. As I fell, I landed on my right side. Four square inches of skin on my lower leg was scraped off, my favorite bike shorts were torn and my hip felt bruised (no bruise has ever appeared since the crash). The worst part is that the brunt of the fall was on my right arm and shoulder, which has already hurt for about a year.
Eventually, I was able to see the doctor, who said that the effects of the crash would go away after a few weeks. He advised an MRI, however, since the shoulder has been hurting for a year. I am hoping that there will be no surgery involved. But I must admit that the arm and shoulder hurts badly and I am ready for some relief. Maybe he will give me me exercises or advise therapy that will improve things. We shall see.
There is a silver lining, however. Last week I was riding at the lake (it does not hurt to bicycle, just to stand, sit, or lie down). It was a warm day, but windy. It was a wonderful day to ride. Let me say that it is very nice to pass someone while sporting a large area of road rash.

No comments: